Sunday, 9 October 2011

Col 3:23




"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."


Colossians 3:23


Col 3:23 is my #1 favorite verse from the Scriptures. I label all my academic notebooks with this verse. It's my comfort and my inspiration, and here's why.

Ever heard about God sanctifying the uniqueness in each and every one of us according to His purpose, instead of making us all the same (and boring)? St. Peter was a fisherman, St. Matthew was a tax collector, St. Mary was a young virgin, St. Monica was an old widow, St. Helena and Elizabeth of Hungary were queens, St. Augustine was a delinquent rascal, St. Thomas Aquinas was a brilliant philosopher, St. Benedict was a monk, and the list goes on. Each of us is given a different personality, a different role, a different calling. The essence stays the same, though: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

I feel that the above verse is the reassurance I need. I've always been the little perfectionist (although as an adult I've relaxed a bit). I couldn't put my work down before I feel satisfied with it. I like both to plan the bigger picture as well as attending to details. But the bitterness comes when other people doesn't seem to appreciate what I do, or when my work seems useless anyways. My peers can get the same or even better grades / awards / etc. with half-hearted efforts, or even by cheating. I come on time just to see nobody else does. I do the "unimportant" assignments when others do not and get away with it.

With this verse in mind, now I have a sense of purpose; I can direct my vision towards Someone who will appreciate what I do and He will make it even more fruitful. The fruits may not be directly visible, but they're there. Placing God as our Ultimate Master, higher than our worldly masters, automatically motivate us to give the best that we can, in whatever we do, with honesty and love. If we are to present our works to the King of all kings, we would definitely present only the very best, wouldn't we? The judgement from peers and human masters is no longer relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts...?