Friday, 28 September 2012

Do it for the lulz.

Thinking is my default mode. For me, thinking is a natural and happy process, although the contents of my thoughts might not be entirely sunshiney happy. (No, they are never suicidal. Just extremely pensive sometimes. And mellow. Ish.)

If I'm not contemplating the meaning of life over a cup of frozen yogurt, or quietly checking if I'm palpitating after a particularly strong coffee, I can be found laying on my bed imagining the perfect life scenarios or reminiscing the past via some old photos. A simple tweet or a pond full of fish can momentarily drown me in a sea of memories, a work of art sends me into a contemplative state, and an online statement riddled with logical fallacies can launch me into writing a short essay in the Facebook comment box.

The upside of this habit is that I excel in the more abstract disciplines like philosophy, theology, and art. I'm also usually one step ahead in all my plans, and my intuition is strong. The downside, is that I often over-think things, and I get serious about stuff that others take lightly. I instinctively want to get to the roots of everything and understand their meanings, and get frustrated when I can't. [Well I'm much more easygoing now than when I was around 16, but hey I'm an INFJ!] Most of the time, though, I take pride in this talent, this gift, bestowed upon me by my Heavenly Father, and I believe that using it to the most of its capacity is my gift for Him.

While that last statement still rings true, some life experiences as an adult have taught me something different. Sometimes my Heavenly Father, the Giver of gifts, wants me to enjoy His other gifts, that is, to simply live and let live, to stop over-thinking things, to just be. Great fruits not only can come out of great contemplation but also of great spontaneity. One of these fruits is childlike joy, a type of happiness and enthusiasm that our Lord once instructed us to have in order to enter His Kingdom. This joy is not to be underestimated: it forces us to see things anew; we are taught to perceive and appreciate their inner values, their true selves. We are to marvel in things not for their functions or roles, but for what they really are. Practical worth diminishes when the object gets old and worn, but the true worth of being does not.

This is why a child, running around laughing cheerfully as if the world is none other than a really amusing playground, is therefore called innocent. Innocence does not seek use, it seeks value. From this innocence we harvest the divine sense of beauty and love, the same sense with which God looks upon His precious children. Love sees all things new.

So the next time you arrange a pot of flowers, try not to think of it as a tool of décor, but rather as a beautiful thing in itself. That's it. The practicality will come along later. Or, when you finally get a break from work and you decide to take a walk in the park, try observing the movement of water as if it was foreign to you before. Try following the drifting clouds as if they were giant fluffy birds. Try doing a few little leaps on dry fallen leaves just to feel their crunchiness.

Let's not look for hidden meanings all the time. Just do it for the lulz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts...?