Monday, 25 March 2013

Prayers Before and After Cadaver Dissection

Fr. Lawrence Farley, an Orthodox priest, posted these beautiful prayers on his website. I think these prayers are what medical students need upon encountering a dead human body as a part of our education. I haven't yet found similar prayers anywhere else, and since they don't contradict the Catholic faith, I am happy to re-post them here. Hopefully these prayers can help us avoid losing our human heart in a profession that requires a cold, systematic approach.



Before Dissection

Almighty Father, Maker of the souls and bodies of all men, give peace to the soul of the brother/sister whose body lies before me, and grant that he/she may have a reward from You for offering his/her flesh to further the medical arts of men. Grant Your consolation also to his/her family, and lead us all into Your eternal Kingdom that through Your mercy we may feast together at Your Table and praise You for the healing You offer to Your children, through Jesus Christ our Lord with whom You are blessed together with Your life-creating Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

* * *

After Dissection

Lord Jesus Christ, Healer of our souls and bodies, I thank You for this opportunity to benefit from the sacrifice of the brother/sister whose body lies before me. Fill me with reverence for all that You have made and grant that I may ever use the wisdom that I have gained today to ease the suffering of Your children and to glorify Your most holy Name, who live and reign, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.


* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts...?