Tuesday, 23 April 2013

New artwork!: "Mother Breastfeeding Her Baby"

I'm so glad that after a long while, I'm able to produce another artwork!
 
"Mother Breastfeeding Her Baby"
33 x 24.5 cm
Coloured pencils

The subject of mother and child never ceases to interest me. I think it is in part propagated by millions of depictions of the Blessed Virgin holding Child or Infant Jesus. That, and the fact that motherly love is a universal and timeless subject.

I worked on this piece using coloured pencils from various brands. I still have the 36-colour Prismacolor set that I bought back in high school. It's an old set that isn't produced anymore. Then over the years I bought myself 36-colour Faber-Castell watercolour pencils set, and 24-colour Derwent Drawing set of natural colours (the one that looks sort of monochromic, without bright tones). "Mother..." was drawn primarily with Derwent.

I'm not sure whether to classify this art as having mature content. In DeviantART at least, "mature content" refers to "content that may not be suitable for some audiences, such as nudity, excessive violence, blood, and other mature themes. Controversial pieces related to ideologically sensitive materials may also fall under these restrictions." Alright, an exposed female breast *may* fall into "nudity", but the subject of breastfeeding as a whole, I think, is not and should not be downgraded to the level of "nudity, excessive violence, blood, and ideologically sensitive materials". If breastfeeding is an offensive topic, I don't know what isn't.

I'm also uploading this piece to my FB, see if it gets banned :p

What do you think?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts...?